A multicultural community boasting over 65 cultures and languages, Markham is the most diverse municipality in Canada, with 72.3% of its population part of visible minority groups.
The City of Markham by the numbers:
- A land area covering 211.53 square kilometers,
- a population of over 350,000,
- 207 sports fields,
- 126 soccer fields,
- 81 baseball diamonds,
- 65 tennis courts,
- 12 golf courses,
- 10 indoor skating facilities,
- 7 bocci courts,
- 4 bowling greens,
- 2 cricket pitches, and
- 2 rugby fields.
The Silicon Valley of the North
The High-Tech Capital of Canada, Markham has the highest concentration of high-tech and life science businesses in Canada: over 1,100. It also boasts various Fortune 500 companies.
Markham is the hub for Canadian industry leaders. Included are well-known names such as Apple Canada, IBM Canada, Hewlett Packard, Toshiba of Canada Limited, Sun Microsystems of Canada Inc, SMTC Manufacturing Corporation, AMD, AT&T Canada, Lucent Technologies, GEAC, and Compaq Canada Inc. These organizations are engaged in research & development, robotics, software, electronics, communication, pharmaceuticals, health care, manufacturing, and distribution.
The Rest of Markham
Not only the cornerstone of IT in Canada but also a city dedicated to preserving its natural beauty, the City of Markham has won three notable awards:
- The first recipient of the Prince of Wales Heritage Award (2000), honoring local government for preserving heritage buildings.
- The 2008 Sustainable Municipality Gold Award for having the highest waste diversion rate of 69.7% of any urban municipality in Canada.
- The 2008 Bronze Promotion Award for the portable EcoMedia bins used at special events.
Moving to Markham
If you are looking for professional Markham movers in Toronto and surrounds, look no further than Hills Moving. To experience our good old-fashioned service, please contact us for more information or a quotation. We look forward to hearing from you.
172 Harwood Ave S Ajax, ON L1S 2H1